Monday, December 29, 2008

Part 3: Un-Cut Interview April 2008 - How I Run artSPACE@16

Reporter: I also noticed that you're a wonderful networker, whether through word of mouth or through email listservs. What role does networking play in running a gallery and publicizing its shows?

SAND T:
  • I would say that networking and publicizing the exhibits are some of the key aspects in running a gallery. Treating the artists professionally is on the top of all my priorities.
  • The quality of work presented is crucial to me. I am always enthusiastic about the gallery presentations as I would be about a work of art. The installation of an exhibit is in fact a work of art if the whole is greater than the sum of the parts. A cohesive presentation will create enjoyable experiences for the visitors.
  • Then comes networking, marketing and publicizing the exhibits. Time management plays an important role in getting the word out about the exhibits. Communicating with everyone I work with in a timely and effective manner helped me to achieve this goal. These people include artists, production, media, and the visitors.
  • Though website and list-services are helpful modern messengers, I aggressively promoted the exhibits via snail mailing, postcards, flyers, exhibition binders and word of mouth.
  • Keeping artSPACE@16’s website content up to date, and making sure that the website is designed to embrace the community, provides relative art resources for all. Effectively communicating the programs, exhibits, mission, and etc is part of the ball game of networking, marketing and publicizing the gallery.

How I run artSPACE@16

.............................................